Saturday, April 9, 2016

Ever Wonder If . . .?

Did You Ever Wonder If:

    ... the song "Scarborough Fair" is a recipe for roast chicken? I find myself humming that song while I am in the kitchen preparing chicken. I don't use Rosemary. I think it looks like pine needles, so I have never bought it. I do use Parsley, Sage, and Thyme.

     I usually add some chicken bouillon powder too, but that just doesn't work in the song - too many syllables; plus it is anachronistic. I suppose I could replace the word 'Rosemary' with "Small Bay Leaf". It fits the lyric; it was a spice that could have been used in nineteenth century England when the modern version of "Scarborough Fair" became popular; and it is something that I use for chicken.

   So my roast chicken recipe version of this ballad would be:
            Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
            Parsley, Sage, Small Bay Leaf, and Thyme?

   I think it could work.What do you think? It's okay -- you can put Rosemary on your chicken if you prefer the traditional version.

No comments:

Post a Comment